Ms. Sahu concentrates her practice in representing financial institutions in general commercial loan transactions and real estate transactions, including single lender, syndicated and second lien loan transactions and small business administration guaranteed loans.
Ms. Sahu has extensive experience structuring, negotiating, and documenting secured and unsecured commercial loans to borrowers in a variety of industries.
She has particular expertise in lending transactions involving venture capital-backed emerging and established companies in the technology, energy, and life science industries. She has more than a decade of experience in transactions with companies in all stages of growth from seed/early stage to established pre-public stage companies.
Ms. Sahu has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2013 in the field of Banking and Finance, was listed as a "Rising Star" in Michigan Super Lawyers from 2008-2012, and is listed as a “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness Magazine in 2014 and 2015. Ms. Sahu received Michigan Lawyers Weekly's "Up and Coming Lawyers" award, which recognizes legal practitioners who go above and beyond, display the ambition, drive, determination and accomplishments that set them apart among their peers in the first ten years in practice.
She is a member of Bodman’s Executive Committee, which manages the Firm’s day to day business affairs. She is a member of the State Bar of Michigan and the State Bar of California. She is currently serving as the Vice President and Treasurer of the board of directors of University YES Academy in Detroit. She is a past board member of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Risk Management Association and a past board member of African-American Attorneys in Downtown Firms (AAADF).
Before joining Bodman, Ms. Sahu worked as a corporate financial analyst for NationsBank (now Bank of America) in Charlotte, North Carolina. In law school, Ms. Sahu was the co-article selection coordinator for the Michigan Journal of Gender and Law.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2013-2017, Banking and Finance
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2014, 2015
- "Rising Star," Michigan Super Lawyers, 2008-2012
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, "Up and Coming Lawyers" Award
- 08/16/201642 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2017 Best Lawyers in America List
- 11/30/2015Damali A. Sahu Appointed to Bodman PLC Executive Committee
- 09/17/2015 Forty-eight Bodman Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2016
- 09/03/201446 Bodman Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2015
- 01/30/2014Damali A. Sahu Featured in Crain's Detroit Business Article on Law Firm Diversity
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Florida A& M University, magna cum laude, B.S.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Michigan