Mr. Shipman represents health care facilities and practitioners in corporate and regulatory matters, with emphasis on medical staff matters, captive and alternative risk programs, and regulation of hospital-physician financial relationships.
He has structured and negotiated hospital mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and other business transactions, including asset purchases and stock purchases, representing both buyers and sellers. He has advised clients on joint ownership of ambulatory surgery centers and diagnostic services, addressing anti-kickback, Stark, licensure, and certification and assisted health care providers in developing captive insurance programs, both onshore and offshore.
Mr. Shipman has extensive experience drafting medical staff bylaws and policies, including disruptive and impaired practitioner policies, streamlining medical staff appeal procedures, ensuring compliance with JCAHO and AOA medical staff standards, and counseling medical executive committees regarding difficult credentialing cases and practical steps to reduce antitrust risk and maximize peer review confidentiality. He has counseled hospitals regarding the application of tax, Stark, and anti-kickback laws to physician recruitment contracts and drafted hospital-based physician contracts, including contracts that address clinical service objectives, exclusivity, and reimbursement issues.
Mr. Shipman has served on the boards of directors of the Michigan Society of Hospital Attorneys, the Montgomery Hospital, the Lourdes Home and the Detroit Artists Market.
He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 under Health Care Law, in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016 under Health Care, and is listed as a 2017 "Top Lawyer" by DBusiness magazine. He is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2013-2017, Health Care
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers," 2010-2017
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2014-2016
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- Author, Careless Peer Review Baits Trap for Antitrust Violations, 7 Health Care Weekly Review 16, 1991
- 06/01/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | MICHIGAN SUPREME COURT STRIPS HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS OF CAUSE OF ACTION AGAINST NO-FAULT INSURERS
- 03/30/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | NEW MICHIGAN LAW CHANGES THE WAY PHYSICIANS AND PHYSICIAN’S ASSISTANTS WORK TOGETHER
- 03/22/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | NEW MICHIGAN TELEHEALTH LAW TAKES EFFECT MARCH 29: Law Provides Guidance Where Current Law Falls Silent
- 11/17/201627 Bodman Attorneys named “Top Lawyers 2017” by DBusiness Magazine
- 10/12/2016CMS Updates Requirements for Long-Term Care Facilities
- IIT - Chicago-Kent, J.D.
- University of Chicago, M. Th.
- University of Illinois, B.A.
- American Academy of Hospital Attorneys
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA)
- State Bar of Michigan