Mr. Kemsley represents banks, financial institutions, mortgage lenders and servicers, and other corporations in complex business and corporate litigation, including the defense of class actions.
Mr. Kemsley has defended individual and class cases involving claimed violations of state consumer protection and deceptive practices laws, and federal laws and regulations including truth-in-lending laws. He has defended many large law firms in cases involving claims of legal malpractice and other misconduct. He has defended banks, corporations, insurance companies, and corporate directors in class action litigation. He also has handled trust and probate litigation involving business trusts, non-profits and foundations, and involving trusts and estates of wealthy individuals.
He has substantial experience in trademark and unfair competition litigation, letter of credit litigation, legal ethics matters, distributor termination cases, bankruptcy litigation, real estate and building restriction disputes, business acquisition and securities fraud cases, and products and premises liability matters.
Mr. Kemsley is a frequent speaker on matters involving professional responsibility and ethics. From 1990 to 1995 he was a member of the Product Liability Advisory Council. He was on the Council of the State Bar of Michigan Litigation Section from 1996 to 2000.
Mr. Kemsley is listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2007-2013 and 2017 under Business Litigation, in Best Lawyers in America 2016-2018 under Commercial Litigation, and as a “Local Litigation Star” in Benchmark Litigation. He is listed as a 2016 “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness magazine. He is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Attorneys' Liability Assurance Society Ltd. (ALAS Ltd.), Regional Loss Prevention Coordinator
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA), Member
- Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA), Member
- Professional Responsibility Counselors, Member, 1999-2008
- State Bar of Michigan
- Standing Committee on Grievance, 2005-2007
- Special Committee on Multidisciplinary Practice, 1999-2002
- Standing Committee on Professional and Judicial Ethics, 1997-2004
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2016-2018, Commercial Litigation
- "Local Litigation Star," Benchmark Litigation
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2010-2011, 2013-2014, 2016
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2007-2013, 2017, Business Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
Published appellate decisions include Brannam v. Huntington Mortgage Co., 287 F3d 601 (6th Cir. 2002) (reh.den.; cert. den.) (a case of first impression under TILA and Reg Z); and Dressel v. Ameribank, 468 Mich 557 (2003) (principal amicus counsel) (establishing that document preparation fees charged in residential mortgage loans do not constitute the unauthorized practice of law).
- 10/10/2017Bodman PLC “Highly Recommended” in Benchmark Litigation 2018
- 09/06/201750 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2017
- 08/15/201746 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America List
- 08/16/201642 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2017 Best Lawyers in America List
- 11/10/2015Bodman PLC Highly Recommended in Benchmark Litigation 2016
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Wayne State University, B.S.M.E.
- Attorneys' Liability Assurance Society (ALAS) Ltd.
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA)
- State Bar of Michigan
- Professional Responsibility Counselors