Ms. Watson enjoys helping her clients make loans to entrepreneurs and businesses, particularly small businesses, thereby creating jobs and enriching local communities.
She concentrates her practice on legal issues related to banking (finance, secured and unsecured loans), loan originations and commercial real estate transactions. She works closely with lenders and borrowers in loan transactions of varying sizes. Her practice also includes multi-state middle-market lending, SBA-guaranteed loan transactions, consumer loans and asset-based loans.
Ms. Watson’s work includes assisting with the following loans and credit facilities:
- Secured multi-million dollar revolving and term loan facilities to California-based poultry and meat deboning factory and to national wholesale distributor of imported merchandise;
- $25 million credit facilities to a national headwear and accessories distributor;
- Construction of various Detroit, MI housing developments, including a project consisting of fifty eight (58) residential units;
- Construction and permanent loans for hotels, restaurants, fitness gyms, office space, jewelry stores, dog daycare, healthcare and educational facilities;
- Acquisition and rehabilitation of an apartment complex in Downtown Detroit; and
- Stock, asset and/or real estate acquisition loan facilities for companies, including, without limitation, grocery stores, veterinary clinics, pediatric medical facilities, motor vehicle dealerships and carpet and upholstery cleaning and repair companies.
She co-chairs the State Bar of Michigan Access to Justice Initiative. She also serves on a number of State Bar of Michigan Committees, including the Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee, the Character and Fitness Committee (District H) and the Delivery of Legal Services for All Committee. Previously, she was the co-chair of the State Bar of Michigan Equal Access Initiative and Civil Right to Counsel workgroup.
Before joining Bodman, Ms. Watson practiced with another large Detroit-based firm where she represented financial institutions in loan originations, workouts, and litigation.
Ms. Watson received the Michigan Super Lawyers 2017 “Rising Star” honor. She is a member of Michigan Lawyers Weekly’s 2014 class of “Up & Coming Lawyers.” She has served as a member of Detroit Mayor Dave Bing's 2009 Crisis Turnaround Team and on the boards of directors of the Wolverine Bar Association, the Barristers of the Detroit Bar Association, and the Greater Corktown Development Corporation. Ms. Watson was listed in The Lincoln University's 2015 inaugural edition of "40 Under 40," a list celebrating accomplished graduates of the school.
Ms. Watson has presented at the 2016 State Bar of Michigan Bar Leadership Forum, the 2014 State Bar of Michigan Justice Initiative Summit, and the State Bar of Michigan Civil Right to Counsel Panel.
Ms. Watson is privileged to serve as a mentor with VIP Mentoring in Detroit. She was also a mentor with Detroit's Year Round Youth Program and a volunteer with Detroit Public Schools Reading Corps Program.
Ms. Watson is passionate about assisting underserved populations and those requiring pro bono representation. She has assisted a number of clients obtain criminal record expungements and those seeking clemency.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Super Lawyers "Rising Star," 2017
- The Lincoln University, "40 Under 40," 2015
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Up-and-Coming Lawyer, 2014
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA), Barrister of the Year, 2010
- Detroit Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Michigan
- Access to Justice Delivery Initiative, Co-Chair
- Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee, Member
- Delivery of Legal Services for All Committee, Member
- Equal Access Initiative, Co-Chair, 2010-2017
- Character and Fitness Committee — District H, Member, 2015-present
- Justice Initiatives Committee, Member, 2012-present
- Justice Initiatives Summit Cabinet
- Wolverine Bar Association
- Board of Director, Former Member
- Mentorship Committee, Former Chair
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- VIP Mentoring, Mentor
- Greater Corktown Development Corporation, Former Board of Director
- Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation
- Year-Round Youth Program, Mentor
- Detroit Public Schools, Volunteer Reading Corps, Volunteer
- Access to Courts for Persons Who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing, State Bar of Michigan Disabilities Newsletter (Feb. 2017)
- 2016 Bar Leadership Forum, State Bar of Michigan (Mackinac Island, MI, June 10-11, 2016).
- Best Practices for Language Access in Michigan Courts, 2014 Fifth Annual Justice Initiatives Summit (Lansing, MI, April 28, 2014), Speaker.
- Best Practices for Language Access in Michigan Courts, 2014 State Bar of Michigan Annual Meeting (Grand Rapids, MI, Sept. 19, 2014), Panel Moderator.
- Henry Ford College, Adjunct Professor, Legal Writing and Research II
- 09/06/201750 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2017
- 07/22/2016Bodman Named to the 2016 State Bar of Michigan Pro Bono Circle of Excellence
- 12/22/2014Bodman Attorney Maya Watson Named 'Up and Coming' Lawyer by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- 02/04/2014Bodman PLC Admits Six New Members
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- Lincoln University, B.A., summa cum laude
- State Bar of Michigan
- Wolverine Bar Association
- American Bar Association