Ms. Bridges represents banks and other financial institutions in a broad range of operational, regulatory compliance, and lending matters.
She represents depository institutions and other financial companies in matters before regulatory and licensing agencies. She also assists financial services clients in connection with the development of new products and the implementation of new technologies.
Her clients include national, regional, and community banks and credit unions, including more than 60 institutions that are members of the Financial Institutions Compliance Cooperative (FICC). Typical assignments Ms. Bridges has handled for financial institution clients include:
- Assisting with the implementation of SAFE Act requirements
- Preparing policies and procedures based on financial institution specific practices, including garnishment and privacy policies
- Presenting annual training on Bank Secrecy Act compliance
- Preparing contracts for online banking, ACH services, mobile banking, and business debit card use
- Reviewing advertising and marketing materials for compliance with federal regulations and state law
- Preparing agreements relating to deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure or short sales
Ms. Bridges is a frequent speaker on financial institution regulatory topics. She has served as the moderator of the Michigan Bankers Association’s Compliance Forum and presented at the annual Bankers Education Summit and Trade Show. She frequently speaks to industry groups and provides training on topics including the Bank Secrecy Act, the SAFE Act, federal and state garnishment rules, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Truth in Lending credit card rules, mortgage compensation rules, and the implementation of the Dodd-Frank Act. Ms. Bridges also regularly contributes articles on regulatory changes to both state and federal law to the FICC newsletter and presents on these topics during the organization’s monthly member telebriefings.
Ms. Bridges is the co-author (with Howard A. Lax) of a chapter, “Financing,” in Michigan Real Estate Transactions (Second Edition) published by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
Before joining Bodman, Ms. Bridges worked as a regulatory compliance consultant in charge of conducting Bank Secrecy Act and Regulatory Compliance reviews for financial institutions in Michigan, Florida, and California.
- 05/11/2016Melissa K. Bridges Named to MMLA’s Inaugural 40 Under 40 Class
- 02/13/2013Bodman PLC Admits Four New Members
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Alma College, B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan