Ralph E. McDowell assists clients primarily in the areas of commercial bankruptcy, debtors’ and creditors’ rights, and workouts.
He has represented the interests of banks and other financial institutions in pre-bankruptcy workout situations, commercial bankruptcy cases, and troubled credit situations. His work with banks and financial institutions includes representation in court proceedings, sale of debt transactions, foreclosures, liquidation of assets, and forbearance arrangements.
He also represents numerous clients in the automotive and manufacturing industries in bankruptcy and troubled supplier situations.
Mr. McDowell has represented trustees, creditors’ committees, non-bank creditors and various debtors in all aspects of bankruptcy cases and debtor-creditor disputes. Because of experience and skill, he is able to assist the firm’s loan origination lawyers in structuring and documenting complex and highly-sophisticated loan transactions. In addition, Mr. McDowell represents the interests of parties in the purchase of assets from trustees, receivers, debtors in possession, and from troubled companies.
Mr. McDowell is a top-tier ranked lawyer in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business under Banking & Finance: Bankruptcy—Michigan, and he has been listed and ranked by Chambers since 2007. He has also been included in The Best Lawyers in America® for the past thirteen years in the practice areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Bet-the-Company Litigation, and Litigation—Bankruptcy. In 2015, Mr. McDowell was named the Best Lawyers® 2015 Litigation—Bankruptcy “Lawyer of the Year” in Detroit. He has also been included in Michigan Super Lawyers® for the past decade and is listed as one of the Top 100 Michigan Super Lawyers overall and one of the Top 50 Michigan Business Super Lawyers for 2015. Mr. McDowell has been annually listed as a “Top Lawyer” by metro Detroit business magazine, DBusiness, since the list’s inaugural debut in 2009. He is Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence and is endorsed for High Ethical Standing.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. McDowell is the chairman of Bodman's Executive Committee, which guides firm operations and business strategy.
Outside of the firm, he is a member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of Hebrew Free Loan of Metropolitan Detroit, on the University of Detroit Mercy Law School Dean’s Advisory Board, and on the Audit Committee of the Detroit Institute of Arts.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Chambers USA 2007-2016, Banking & Finance: Bankruptcy- Michigan
- The Best Lawyers in America 2003-2017, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Bet-the-Company Litigation, and Litigation-Bankruptcy
- The Best Lawyers in America 2017 Detroit "Lawyer of the Year," Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- The Best Lawyers in America 2016 Detroit "Lawyer of the Year," Litigation- Bankruptcy
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2006-2016
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyer" 2009-2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- Detroit Bar Association
- Debtor-Creditor Rights Committee
- State Bar of Michigan
- Debtor-Creditor Rights Subsection, Business Law Section
- Debtor-Creditor Rights Subsection, Real Property Law Section
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Hebrew Free Loan of Metropolitan Detroit, Board of Directors and Executive Committee
- University of Detroit Mercy Law School, Dean's Advisory Board
- Detroit Institute of Arts, Audit Committee
- 11/17/201627 Bodman Attorneys named “Top Lawyers 2017” by DBusiness Magazine
- 09/01/201648 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- 08/29/2016QUOTED | Bodman Chairman Ralph McDowell Quoted in National Law Journal
- 08/24/2016Four Bodman Attorneys Named 2017 'Lawyers of the Year' by The Best Lawyers in America
- 08/16/201642 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2017 Best Lawyers in America List
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Kalamazoo College, B.A.
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- State Bar of Michigan