Ms. Kornfield assists clients in intellectual property matters, including information systems acquisition, copyrights, trademarks, e-commerce, noncompete agreements and other post employment restrictions, and protection against economic espionage. She handles transactional and litigation matters and has been lead counsel in national intellectual property litigation.
She has been selected as an expert witness, mediator, and arbitrator in intellectual property disputes. She serves on an Advisory Committee to Stanford University on matters involving libraries and academic information resources, and lectures at universities, legal conferences, and business workshops on IP issues. Ms. Kornfield has authored several articles about intellectual property law.
Ms. Kornfield is a member of numerous national, state, and local bar associations and committees relating to computer law, intellectual property law, and entertainment law.
Ms. Kornfield is co-Chair of the Firm's Pro Bono Committee and served for many years as a member of the Executive Committee.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Top 25 Women Business Super Lawyers, 2017
- Top 50 Women Michigan Super Lawyers, 2017
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2006-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2018
- Best Lawyers® 2018 Copyright "Lawyer of the Year," Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Best Lawyers® 2017 Trademark "Lawyer of the Year," Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Best Lawyers® 2016 Copyright “Lawyer of the Year,” Ann Arbor, Michigan
- DBusiness, Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, 2009, 2011-2017
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Litigation – Patent “Lawyer of the Year,” Ann Arbor, Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan 2014 John W. Cummiskey Pro Bono Award
- Best Lawyers® 2014 Litigation – Intellectual Property “Lawyer of the Year,” Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Best Lawyers® 2013 Copyright “Lawyer of the Year,” Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Managing Intellectual Property, listed in 2013 “Top 250 Women in IP” list
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly 2010 “Women in the Law” Award
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- University of Michigan College of Engineering, Center for Entrepreneurship, Emeritus Advisory Board Member
- Stanford University, Stanford Libraries Advisory Council, Member
- State Bar of Michigan
- Animal Law Section, Member
- Information Technology Law Section, Member
- Intellectual Property Law Section, Member
- Washtenaw County Bar Association, Member
- Author, Tom Petty Should Be Ashamed of Himself: Lessons from Those Who Learned the Hard Way, Res Ipsa Loquitor, the Washtenaw County Bar Association Newsletter, September/October 2015, Vol. 45, No. 5, p. 10.
- “When Can Anonymous Internet Posters Be Identified and Held Liable?” Panelist, Washtenaw County Bar Association, February 26, 2016, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- “Handling the Most Common Intellectual Property Issues,” Presenter, First Annual Entrepreneurial Law Institute, Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), May 28, 2015, Detroit, Michigan.
- “Basic Intellectual Property,” Business Boot Camp II, State Bar of Michigan, Nov. 8, 2011, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- “Implications for Technological Innovation,” Panelist, 21st Century Copyright Law in the Digital Domain Symposium, University of Michigan Law School and Park Foundation Inc., March 24, 2006, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Established a walk-in clinic at Detroit’s Capuchin Soup Kitchen, Saints Peter & Paul Warming Center
- Assisted with Street Outreach Court Detroit, a 36th Judicial District Court program that assists homeless people
- University of Michigan Law School, Adjunct Professor, Intellectual Property
- University of Michigan Ross School of Business, Former Adjunct Professor, Law of Advertising
Princeton University Press v. Michigan Document Services, Inc., 99 F.3d 1381 (6th Cir. 1996).Lead counsel in a copyright infringement action where publishers of copyrighted works brought sued a commercial copying service that prepared and sold unauthorized anthologies (“coursepacks”) to university students without paying royalties or permission fees.
Authors Guild, Inc. v. HathiTrust, 755 F.3d 87 (2d Cir. 2014).Copyright infringement action under the fair use doctrine related to the HathiTrust Digital Library (HDL), a digital preservation repository that provides long-term preservation and access services for public domain and in copyright content from a variety of sources, including Google, the Internet Archive, Microsoft, and in-house partner institution initiatives. HathiTrust is a partnership of many major academic research libraries, including the Library of Congress, the New York Public Library, the Ivy League universities, Johns Hopkins University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, the University of Michigan, and Michigan State University. Ms. Kornfield represented a group of university trustees and boards of regents as amici curiae in this matter: The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois, the Board ofTrustees of Michigan State University, the Regents of the University Minnesota, the Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska, Northwestern University, The Pennsylvania State University, and the Trustees of Purdue University.
Pollick v. Kimberly-Clark Corp., 817 F. Supp. 2d 1005 (E.D. Mich. 2011).Represented a multi-national consumer products manufacturing company in a copyright infringement action alleging that the company had infringed on the plaintiff’s idea and copyright registration for his “diaper jeans,” baby diapers designed to resemble jeans, when it began manufacturing and marketing its own brand of “jeans diapers,” which were also baby diapers designed to resemble jeans.
- 09/15/2017Four Bodman Attorneys Named to Michigan Super Lawyers 2017 Top Lists
- 09/06/201750 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2017
- 08/18/2017Six Bodman Attorneys Named 2018 Lawyers of the Year by The Best Lawyers in America
- 08/15/201746 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America List
- 07/31/2017Susan M. Kornfield Receives State Bar of Michigan Excellence in Intellectual Property Award
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law (Bloomington), J.D., with honors
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan