Mr. Bruetsch’s practice is focused on complex commercial and governmental litigation matters.
He has represented banks, sports franchises, local governments, automotive firms, and others in domestic and international banking and finance litigation, professional sports stadium lease and construction disputes, trust and estate contests, commercial contract litigation, constitutional matters involving governmental power, election cases, and related matters.
Mr. Bruetsch is listed as a "Recognised Practitioner" in Chambers 2016, in Benchmark Litigation, and as a 2018 “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness magazine. He is a member of the City of Detroit Law Department Advisory Council, Wayne County Jail Overpopulation Task Force, and is secretary to the Detroit Progress Fund. He is also a fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation and has been recognized by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan for his Pro Bono work.
While in law school, Mr. Bruetsch received numerous academic honors and interned with Justice Marilyn Kelly of the Michigan Supreme Court. Before becoming a lawyer, Mr. Bruetsch worked in radio and television as a broadcast journalist, producer, and executive. He was nominated for three local Emmy awards for his work as a television producer.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- "Recognized Practitioner," Chambers USA 2016
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2018
- Benchmark Litigation
- State Bar of Michigan
- Commercial Litigation Committee, Business Law Section
- Arts, Communication, Entertainment and Sports Section
- International Law Section
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Detroit Progress Fund, Secretary
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- City of Detroit Law Department Advisory Council
- Wayne County Jail Overpopulation Task Force
Mr. Bruetsch's recent matters include:
- Represented The Detroit Lions in a breach of contract suit filed by the City of Pontiac over the Lions’ move to Ford Field in downtown Detroit. Pontiac claimed damages in excess of $100 million. The case ultimately settled on terms satisfactory to the Lions.
- Represented Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan in challenges to his candidacy.
- Won a defense verdict in a trial in Federal Court in Arizona asserting that our client assisted the borrower's CFO in breaching his fiduciary duties to the borrower. The suit sought tens of millions of dollars in damages.
- Successfully defended the developer of a 65,000 seat sports stadium against claims from its structural steel supplier to the stadium in excess of $150 million. Following a 42-day arbitration, the arbitrators ruled in favor of Mr. Bruetsch’s client on all counts and awarded more than $11 million in costs and attorney fees.
- Represented major banks in suits involving claims of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, discrimination, and fraud. One of these matters involved a suit brought by a Brazilian bank alleging that Mr. Bruetsch's client agreed to purchase the Brazilian bank which sought over $70 million in damages. We were successful in having all of plaintiff’s principal claims dismissed, and in achieving summary judgment in our favor on our client’s counterclaim. Another involved a class action lawsuit concerning $50 million of bank investments.
- Represented the Wayne County Executive in suits raising constitutional issues and assisted the County in saving millions of dollars by enforcing adherence to the County budget.
- Brought suit against an audit firm that failed to uncover a $20 million bank fraud and negotiated a favorable settlement.
- Represented major automotive clients, including OEMs and Tier-1 suppliers, in multi-million dollar contract, warranty, and international dealer litigation.
- Panhandle Eastern Pipe Line Co. v Musselman, 257 Mich App 477; 668 N.W. 2d 418 (2003)
- 11/09/201765 Bodman Attorneys Named “Top Lawyers 2018” by DBusiness Magazine
- 10/10/2017Bodman PLC “Highly Recommended” in Benchmark Litigation 2018
- 06/02/2016Chambers USA 2016 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan’s Top Business Law Firms
- 11/10/2015Bodman PLC Highly Recommended in Benchmark Litigation 2016
- 11/21/2014Bodman PLC Achieves High Rating in Benchmark Litigation
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan